• a number system using the base number 2.
• most computers and other electronic devices use the
• binary numbers are written using the digits 0 and 1 to express each number.
• binary digits are called 'bits'.
EXAMPLE: 1100 = 12
base numbers and number systems
• a base number is the basis of a place value number system,
successive powers of the base number
are used for each column.
• the decimal system uses 10
as its base number
so it is called a Base-10 system.
• the binary system uses 2 as its base number so
it is called a Base-2 system.